The Nerds Approach (A comparison)
Let’s take a few steps further. Starting with the interface. Sure a laptop is cool, but also read you can interface the whole bunch through a Raspberry Pi or a modified Linksys Net / TP-Link TL-703N / Asus WL500 with OpenWRT. Woohoo! All familiar stuff.
Most bang for the buck?
And while researching what kind of USB hubs and cooling is required I ran into some neat USB hardware with a far better value.
- (for comparison sake) Block Erupter | 333MH/s | ± €40
- AntMiner U1 | 1.7-2.2GH/s | ± €70 … Tutorial for Linux
- Red Fury | 2.2-2.7GH/s | €150
- Bi Fury | 5GH/s | ± €250 … OSX tutorial & Review
All roughly using 2.5W. And they can be easily over clocked! And yeah I’m one of those old skool over clockers I can still remember the days when I over clocked my Abit BH6 Dual Celeron 366Mhz to 620MHz with Aircooling. So love to mess around with that. My gosh that’s ages ago! Anyway ..
Taking it a bit further
I would need 7 Erupters to match the speed of a Red Fury, or even 14 to match a Bi-Fury. Imagine stacking a few of those together?
Cool tip: Firmwares for Bi-Fury that limit temperature; download here
But that also increases prices fast, and saw a few other great offers:
- BFL Jalapeño | 7.5GH/s | 45W | ± €200
- Avalon BitBurner | 8GH/s | ± €175
- TechnoBit HEX16B | 40-50GH/s | 45W | ± €800
- 200+ GH/s range | €2200 and higher
Thinking about getting an AntMiner U1 for my Hackintosh notebook + Jalapeño with RaspPi.
Show me the money!
So how does all this Giga Hash power related to money? A few calculator suggestions:
- http://www.bitcoinx.com/profit/ (in USD)
- http://bitcoin.web-share.nl (in EUR)
- http://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/calculator (best one)
Based on some things I read: 60GH/s does about 0.8BTC = 460EUR. So investing in better equipment seems advisable to get a higher ROI faster.
The Future of Mining
While googling I ran into these babies: http://www.bitcoinx.com/bitcoin-mining-hardware/
4th generation in May 2014?
Butterflylabs will be releasing a device called the “Monarch” somewhere in March that can do 600GH/s for roughly $2k and fits in either a PCI-X or USB slot. Or what about the 2TH/s device from cointerra.com for just $5,999 ? One thing is sure. USA ain’t a bad place to live! Although the Black Arrow Prospero X1 that does 100GH/s for €450 / $373 ain’t a bad deal either. All pre-order though!
But also don’t underestimate Cloud Mining solutions:
- Black Arrow (also manufacturer … better deal than BFL)
- ButterFlyLabs (also Manufacturer)
- and …
you know what? I can barely wait for the Advanced course of Bitcoin-Economy launching soon:
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.
About Earnie Rhyker
tech pioneer | intellectual BadAss | ethical lifehacker | WordPress Developer & Polyglot | information activist | blogger | added value services provider | multimedia enthusiast | senior linux server administrator | geek | bitcoin investor | laptop entrepreneur | open source contributor | hackintosh fanatic | charity donator | accredited top MLM networker & internet marketer 2014-2016 @ BFH
- My Dutch / NL WordPress Translation contributions: July 2022 - July 27, 2022
- My Dutch / NL WordPress Translation contributions: April 2022 - April 2, 2022
- My Dutch / NL WordPress Translation contributions: March 2022 - March 10, 2022
- What is the best global travel community for 2022 ? - February 20, 2022
- My Dutch / NL WordPress Translation contributions: February 2022 - February 3, 2022
Communities I have been 'hanging out' regularly over the past two decades.
- BitcoinTalk.org since 2014-03
- Warrior Forum since 2013-07
- Empire Avenue since 2013
- Envato (i.e. CodeCanyon) since 2011-07
- TripAdvisor since 2010-09
- HardWare.info since 2003-08
- SynthForum.NL since 2001-11
- gathering.tweakers.net since 2000-11
Note: links go to my profile on those respective sites. Connect with me if you like.
If you enjoyed this blog, like / retweet, share and comment below please
- Binance coin
Donate Bitcoin to this address
It is just as easy as scanning the QR code or copying the address below into your wallet to send some Bitcoin in seconds. We thank you in advance for your patronage!
Donate Ethereum to this address
It is just as easy as scanning the QR code or copying the address below into your wallet to send some Ethereum in seconds. We thank you in advance for your patronage!
Donate Binance coin to this address
It is just as easy as scanning the QR code or copying the address below into your wallet to send some Binance coin in seconds. We thank you in advance for your patronage!
Donate Litecoin to this address
It is just as easy as scanning the QR code or copying the address below into your wallet to send some Litecoin in seconds. We thank you in advance for your patronage!
4th generation bitcoin mining, bi fury bitcoin asic miner, bitccoin asic usb, bitcoin asic comparison, bitcoin asic hardware, bitcoin asic miner, bitcoin asic miner hardware, bitcoin asic miner hardware usb, bitcoin mining hardware calculator, Bitcoin mining profit calculator, bitcoin-economy review, certified bitcoin coach, diy asic bitcoin miner, fury asic miner usb